Wednesday, November 17, 2010

New Short Film In Progress

I'm making a three minute surrealist short film. I'm really into the director, David Lynch, and I plan on drawing heavily from his works. One scene I'm very interested in is when the main character is shown walking in this industrial landscape.  You can watch the clip here, the scene I'm interested in is at about 6 minutes in. This is a still of the shot.

"Eraserhead" David Lynch 1977
I've noticed that the overcast lighting takes away the shadow of the main character walking. It adds to the motif of bleakness that I'm interested in recreating. Furthermore, in my film I will incorporate heavy sound that will complement the visual images' production of my themes: a distanced sense of self, anxiety, and bleakness. David Lynch is very well known for his "atmospheric dissonance" that accompanies the "natural" sound in his films. My sound will come from recording various machines humming to produce what I envision will create a "cyclical groan". 

Another filmmaker that I will draw from is Luis Bunuel, specifically his well known short film "Un Chien Andalou" from 1930. This is a clip from the film:


With Bunuel, I'm really looking at the relationship between each shot and the lighting techniques that he uses. I'd like to use these types of shot-shot relations in my own film. A single statement to summarize my (as of now untitled) film:

In this surrealist short film, a woman, played by Rachele Krivichi, experiences a bleak, yet anxiety filled reality. The film incorporates other relatable themes, such as the feeling of a distanced sense of self.

3 comments:

  1. Great shots to derive inspiration from. Are you going to shoot it in black and white like Lynch and Bunuel's films? That may add a sense of unreality to the film. Also, are you going to somehow amplify the sounds so that they are louder than they would be in real life? Will you include a soundtrack? If this is going to be a sort of continuation of your nail-biting clip, I think it's going to be viscerally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am excited to see your finished project, especially since I also love Lynch's work. I am curious to see how the lighting techniques that Lynch and Bunel use will mix with an emmulation of Lynch's use of sound.
    Though you are probably done with filming and most of the editing, I think it would be nice if your video were in black and white. It would not only heighten the atmosphere of anxiety but also enhance your lighting techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You transformed the banality of your surrounding environs nicely through camera work and reducing the world to tones of gray. The sense of dread, the bug, the anxiety came through. Can you post the video on YouTube?

    ReplyDelete