Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I Made Movies

Recently I uploaded some short films that I made to YouTube. The first film, entitled Some Speech Resembles Vomit" is a mash-up of found footage I collected on the internet. The film is a commentary on how I don't like how people market themselves to others as if they're trying to sell something. I find that mentality pretty easy to see through even when it's masqueraded by the common "I just thought you would love to hear about this" front. Anyways, I've embedded the video here, but you can also check out My YouTube Channel. Here's "Some Speech Resembles Vomit" (please excuse the typo in the video).



The next film I made is called "Thinking About People Telling Me Things Makes Me Bite My Nails", it's about my own feelings of anxiety that accompany the feeling of being marketed to, or targeted, or "on someones' radar". I added sound in from a washing and drying machine cycling through their respective actions. The anxiety that I often feel in my life just kind of rolls over me which is represented by the gears turning around. The sharpness of the anxiety that I experience is illustrated by the chopping of carrots. Also a side note: I'm allergic to carrots. Here's the video:



My third video is called "Anxiety". I've represented my feelings of anxiety about the issue of being marketed to by directing two of my friends through some musical improvisation. I framed the video so that the windows on the house outside look like piano keys in the closer window. The blurred effect that comes in and out is through a manual focus on the camera I used; the purpose that this focus shift holds in the video is the distorted perception of reality that anxiety puts me under. Tim Honig plays trumpet in the film and Peter Mancina plays Bass.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the title "Some Speech Resembles Vomit", if you turn on the radio litsening to the commercials nowadays, they even stop mentioning "I just thought you would love to hear about this" any more. Just pure projectiled vomit. They are trying their best to list all the advantages you get once you get their product throughout the whole ad, and then they list all the dissappointing features like" in order to get this you have to pay an extra..." in 2 seconds with low and fast voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea for you video "Thinking About People Telling Me Things Makes Me Bite My Nails". I also bite my fingers and often become more anxious when people notice this habit.

    The overall concepts for your project, anxiety and disgust, are also interesting. Like you and Jinglei, I am also pretty sick of all of the in-your-face advertising that saturates our lives- vomit seems like a pretty apt way to illustrate that disgust. The connection to mechanical gears to personal anxiety is a particularly nice comparison. Not only are you and a machine (technology) connected, but it also blurs the line between the more public machine and the inner psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The videos heighten our awareness of the spew and being on the receiving end of the spew. So how can we make communication an exchange instead of vomit? The nail biting video is as excruciating as the environment of advertisements in which we all must function.

    ReplyDelete