Monday, October 11, 2010

New Photos Uploaded

I've created three sets of ten images that focus on or respond to the notion of surveillance in contemporary life. You can check them out on my Flickr page. My first set is Appleton in autumn; for people that live in Appleton, we know that it's a pretty quiet place. I find the images in this set somewhat comical because they show authority figures and signs that presume dangerous or "bad" things go on here, or would if they weren't around to stop them. Within this set I like the photo of the sign near the park and the text that says "turn em' in" because I think it shows this theme very effectively. In my next set of photos, I took pictures at Project Bridges, the preschool I work at. At a preschool surveillance is obviously important because we teachers use surveillance as a means to help kids. Some of the pictures represent this theme, but others are just more playful images that use surveillance in some other way such as kids taking care of animals or surveying/considering the idea of time. Finally, for my last set I took pictures at the Fox River Mall. The text in the first photograph sets up the mood for the entire set; it's about marketing and the individual's lack of a personal identity that comes from being forces to self-survey from the lens that marketing culture imposes on the consumer.

1 comment:

  1. The mall/shopper series with text reminds us how rebellious consumer attitudes are turned around and "sold" back. The clever, naughty signage, mannequin poses and slogans point out the obvious absurdity. Is it working? Do people buy into it?

    ReplyDelete